About Deranged Designs
This page was last updated in April 2023
Deranged Designs is a home-based business located in Sacramento, California. It is owned and operated by Annie Rose (that's me!). You can contact me at:
I started this business in 2005 when I was in high school. I was a creative but insecure teenager and I found that making crazy clothing gave me more confidence. It quickly became an obsession. I was (and still am) a big fan of punk music and I loved the DIY spirit of the scene. In the beginning I made clothing out of band t-shirts, zippers, and discount fabric and I upcycled a lot of thrift store garments. My goal was to be able to work for myself and make a living off my own clothing creations.
Fast forward nearly 20 years later and that is exactly what I'm doing. Everybody knows that running a business involves long hours and hard work but people are still surprised that I do ALL of the work by myself, including sewing orders. I am currently looking into ways to outsource some of my clothing production without sacrificing quality or having to invest in a lot of inventory. I hate how wasteful the fashion industry is and I prefer the made-to-order model over mass production.
I consider myself a sewing nerd and I'm obsessed with learning about patternmaking and clothing manufacturing. I use four different industrial sewing machines: a Juki computerized lockstitch machine, two Juki overlock machines, and a Kansai coverstitch machine. I use a limited number of fabrics and trims to keep product costs low.
Find out more about Deranged Designs by following me on social media:
Other useful info:
- Since this is a home-based business, I do not have a shop for you to pick up your order or try on garments. The only place to buy Deranged Designs clothing is on this site or my Etsy and eBay stores.
- Pay attention to the current order processing time. If you need your order by a certain date, please contact me BEFORE ordering so I can make sure that I have time to make your deadline.
- Returns are frustrating for me because it's difficult to re-sell them. Please make sure you read the item description and pay attention to sizing info before you order.
- The fastest way to contact me is by email. I will respond within 1 business day. Please remember that I am not available 24/7 to answer emails. Sending me multiple messages on multiple platforms will add to the time it takes for me to respond to you.
- I love making custom orders for people because my customers have a lot of awesome ideas! The best customers I have are the ones who are able to give me any measurements I need and know exactly what they want.
- I frequently get stressed out by customers who send me a nonspecific request with their order (example: "I need this ASAP!") and then don't respond to my requests for clarification. Please be specific with your requests, and respond to my questions! It will give me more time for sewing.
- A large amount of the products I sell were originally customer requests. If there's something you would like to see in my store that is similar to what I already sell, let me know!
- The busiest months of the year for me are May and October. I might not be able to make custom orders during this time.
My favorite photo of me sewing (this photo shows an older industrial sewing machine that I used before purchasing my Juki)